The Lions Den!
You have no doubt heard of the 'Dragons Den' - well we recently held the second of our very own 'Lions Den' events (Community Grant event). Applications were received from a number of small local community groups in Reading and small local Reading charities. The grant has to be used for the benefit of the local community and 'make a difference'. Our aim was to award small grants up to £500.00 each.
We were very impressed with all the entries received and humbled to hear how local groups are helping those in need in the Reading area. Those successfully through the first review stage were then asked to attend the 'Lions Den' and pitch for a grant.
All the participants have now been advised of the results and the grants are now being distributed to the lucky participants. If you were one of the lucky groups many congratulations; if you were not successful this time - please keep up your good work and perhaps consider entering again next time.
All the money used for the grants is raised through the generosity of local Reading people, so a very BIG THANKYOU to everyone who has supported us in our fundraising efforts.
With your help grants have been made to:
- a group providing debt counselling service
- a stroke survivors support group
- a small charity providing gift bags of essential items for people undergoing cancer treatment
- a group supporting MS sufferers
- creative artworks for hospital spaces
- a volunteer group providing yoga and other exercise classes for older people
- toys and equipment for an after school club for families with autistic children
- support to a group promoting the health & wellbeing of the community through horticulture
- a support group providing services to people with drug and alcohol addiction
- support for a 'learn through play' programme for a local school
- a group that supports young children excluded from school as a result from bullying or trauma
- a small local charity providing support for those in poverty or homeless. The grant will be used for after school activities for needy children
- a group providing disability awareness and disability confidence programmes
- a group that wishes to trial a fortnightly support group for anyone living locally with autism
- New kit for the Reading Sea Cadets.
'Together we are making a difference'
Well done to everyone that took part - and watch this space for details of the 2019 'Lions Den' grant programme.