READING LIONS CLUB is a local group of volunteers who aim to promote the health and wellbeing of the Reading community by improving the local environment, helping individuals in times of need, supporting Reading based community groups and local charities. Every penny raised goes into our community projects. Our aim is to serve the people of Reading and make a difference.
SAVING LIVES with our Prostate Cancer Awareness: We are gaining a reputation for our annual Prostate Cancer Awareness programme. With one man every hour dying from prostate cancer and 40,000 new cases every year the Lions Club of Reading and Circle Reading Hospital aim to provide an awareness event and free PSA blood test to as many men over 45 as possible who chose to take the test. More...
Message in a Bottle scheme: We are well known for our distribution of Message in a Bottle bottles. A simple scheme to assist people living alone or those that are vulnerable to keep vital medical information in a safe place. More...
Helping Individuals in need: We answer calls for assistance from individuals and families in genuine need. It could be something simple like needing a few food vouchers at a difficult time or involve complex needs such as specialist medical and support equipment.
Supporting local small community groups with our 'Lions Den': We hosted our first community grant scheme event. Our aim was to reach out to small local Reading community groups and small local Reading charities and award grants for local community projects. We distributed £6,000 in total grants. More...
We collect and recycle unwanted spectacles: Each year we collect and recycle thousands of unwanted spectacles. Working with local Reading opticians. More ...
Our International Efforts: Lions Clubs are also members of an international network of men and women who work together to answer the needs that challenge communities across the world. Visit for more detail.
Our Club has also assisted a Reading based charity with a local primary school in Swaziland. More...
Lions have been carrying out community service in a very wide range of areas since their formation in 1917. This community service is carried out mainly at local level but also at wider national and international levels.
If you know of a local community service project that may need our help then please contact us, or email email@example.com We also answer calls for assistance from private local families / individuals
- We have adopted a local green space in the centre of Reading at County Lock.
- Helping to prepare and serve Christmas lunch to Southcote pensioners.
- Providing food vouchers to local needy families for Christmas.
- Supporting a young local couple with funds towards a replacement wheelchair.
- We donated funds to a local special needs school for young boys with emotional, behavioural and social disorders.
- Funding a short respite break for a single parent and his disabled child.
- Helping to fund specialist equipment at Brookfields Special School in Tilehurst.
- Sponsored six months children's entertainment at the Royal Berkshire Hospital.
- Provided a new dishwasher for a cancer unit at the Royal Berkshire Hospital.
- a contribution towards three defibrillators in the Reading area including at two schools
- a contribution towards the cost of a powered scooter for a disabled person
- six months entertainment at a children's ward at the RBH
- new beds for a single Mum fleeing domestic violence and moving to unfurnished accommodation
- delivered more than 900 message in a bottles to local health centers and community centres
- provided a washing machine and food vouchers for a needy family
- made a donation towards a sleep-over respite care for severely disabled children
- made a donation towards and specialist motorised wheelchair for a disabled young lady
- new toys for a special needs pre school
- made a donation to a local primary school for a specialist chair for a disabled pupil
- provided a new dishwasher for the Urology Department at the RBH.
- awarded more than £6,000 in small grants to local community groups / small local charities as part of our Lions Den programme.
And its comments like this that make it all worthwhile:
"I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you will be funding a new sound system for our children's hospice, thank you so much for your generous support".
Defibrillators save lives
Lion John Rowe was delighted to present the defibrillator sponsored by Reading Lions Club to the Caversham Methodist Church. John is pictured with Eunice Cooper from the Church.
Supporting the blind
We were delighted to support blind ramblers with Hi Viz tabards at Reading Association for the Blind.
"So the jackets are not only highlighting our members presence on the roads, increasing their safety, but working with local communities too. Everyone says how much safer they feel and we are extremely grateful to Reading Lions for their continued support." Marion Haynes, Community Fundraiser, Reading Association for the Blind.
Supporting a local community project
To celebrate 100 years of Lions Clubs International Reading Lions Club funded a very special seat and steps in Reading's oldest gem, the Abbey Ruins