READING LIONS CLUB is a local group of volunteers who aim to promote the health and wellbeing of the Reading community by improving the local environment, helping individuals in times of need, supporting Reading based community groups and local charities. Every penny raised goes into our community projects. Our aim is to serve the people of Reading and make a difference. We are always seeking new and fun ways of raising money. Lions Clubs are also members of an international network of men and women who work together to answer the needs that challenge communities across the world.
Do you need a community grant? Can you face the Lions Den? - This is a chance for local community groups to bid for a small community grant: Click here for more news and to download your application form.
Charity Golf Day - A big thank you to everyone that supported our recent Charity Golf Day, whether you were a player, buyer of auction and raffle items, a sponsor or a volunteer, you helped to raise an amazing £3,800.00 towards our prostate cancer awareness programme.
Dragon Boat Festival: A big thank you to everyone that came along to the Dragon Boat Festival - a great day out and what a super way to have fun and raise funds for local charities and community groups.
Our forthcoming fundraising events:
Raising funds for our Prostate Cancer Awareness programmes with our Tribute Night.
How we help the local Reading community
The following are just some of the projects that have benefited from your kind donations:
- a contribution towards two defibrillators for two local schools.
- food vouchers for needy families at Christmas time
- a contribution towards the cost of a powered scooter for a disabled person.
- six months entertainment for a children's ward at the RBH.
- the provision of a Christmas lunch for 40 elderly persons at Southcote Community Hall.
The following are examples of the other causes we have helped:
- we awarded £6,000 in total in grants to local small charities and community groups as part of our Lions Den project. More...
- delivered more than 800 Message in a Bottle bottles to local health centers and community centres.
- provided a washing machine and food vouchers for a needy family.
- made a donation towards sleep-over respite care for severely disabled children.
- made a donation towards a specialist motorised wheelchair for a disabled young lady.
- donated funds for new toys for a special needs pre school.
- provided tickets for a group of families recommended by Reading Mencap to visit Paultons Park Theme park.
- made a donation to a local Primary School for a specialist chair for a disabled pupil.
- a new dishwasher for the Urology Department RBH Reading.
And it's comments like this that make it all worthwhile:
"I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you will be funding a new sound system for our children's hospice, thank you so much for your generous support."
Would you like to help?
Can you spare some time to help serve your commnity?
The Lions Club of Reading meets two evenings a month to organise our community and fundraising events. Giving makes us all feel better for living. We have fun too and our reward is the satisfaction in what we do for others. If this sounds like something for you then why not come along to one of our meetings or join us at a fundraising event or help out at one of our community service projects. Or maybe join us for a social event (see calender of events).
We meet on the second and fourth Monday of the month at the Prudential Ibis Club, Scours Lane, Tilehurst, Reading, RG30 6AY.
Any help is gratefully received - and hopefully you will enjoy the activity!
We need your unwanted specs:
Click here to see how your unwanted prescription glasses can help those in need. 'The longest journey starts with the smallest step'.
Lions raise US$30 millions and are saving lives across the globe:
Lions Clubs International Foundation's (LCIF) US$30 Million Commitment to Gavi is Complete!
Just over four years ago Lions Clubs across the globe made a joint committment with LCIF and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, to raise US$30 million to help protect tens of millions of children in the world?s poorest countries against measles. If we could accomplish this ambitious goal, these funds would be matched by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the UK Department for International Development.
LCIF is pleased to announce that thanks to the generosity and service of Lions Clubs across the globe, this goal has been reached, bringing the total amount raised to US$60 million. The Lions Club of Reading was proud to support this initiative with help from the generous people of Reading - Thank you all for helping to save lives.
Celebrating 100 Year's of Service
We were honoured that Lion David Hitchins was chosen to attend a celebration at Buckingham Palace hosted by our Patron Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex GCVO. Click here to see the event brochure and learn more about Lions Clubs in the British Isles.